Indian Styled Cream Spinach
20m Serves 4 People 214 Cal
This Easy Indian Creamed Spinach is a deliciously easy side dish made with fresh baby spinach ,coconut milk and few spices ready in 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Medium onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tsp ginger grated
- 1-2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 1 Large tomato finely chopped
- 0.5 Tsp turmeric
- 1 Tsp garam masala
- Salt adjust to taste
- 250g fresh baby spinach
- 1 Cup full fat coconut milk or heavy cream
- Juice of half lime
- Boil water in a large pot and cook the spinach for 1-2 minutes. Drain it into a colander, rinse it with cool water, and squeeze out the extra water.
- This step makes it easier to work with the spinach since there’s so much volume/bulk before it cooks down.
- Then finely chopped the blanched spinach. You can leave as it is or even run it in a blender to get smooth texture.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, Add cumin seeds, let the cumin sizzle.
- Then add onions, minced ginger and garlic, green chili and fry until onions turn light brown.
- Next add diced tomato, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and cook for 1-2 minutes till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the blanched spinach and stir in the full fat coconut milk or heavy cream on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.The sauce will thicken up as it cooks.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice
- Serve Creamed spinach hot with naan, rice and onion slices.